Saturday, October 26, 2013

A trip to the nursery.

Today on our way back from the lake we stopped in at a nursery to get some plants for our new home. I had a few things in mind, but not sure what plants they would have, I was trying not to get too ahead of myself. I have been wanting to grow some aloe vera for a while, so that was first on my list, second was a nice plant for inside the house, thirdly some herbs, and fourthly, whatever else took my fancy. 

Walking through the nursery was great, they had a wonderful range and signs in English, which was very helpful. After spying a few herbs on the way in we walked up and down the rows of plants just seeing what else they had. Thankfully right about then someone came to help us and steered us in the right direction of the aloe vera, hooray- aloe vera: tick. 

Next a plant for inside, there was lots to choose from, so we ended up with a bamboo palm and another smaller plant for inside. Inside plants: tick. 



Thirdly was the herbs. We had seen mint, oregano and basil on the way in, but we were also guided to rosemary, chives, garlic and lavender. Herbs: tick. 



Next was whatever took my fancy, and I have to say I was really quite restrained and we only bought one more plant, a beautiful flowering plant, I think it is a type  of bougainvillea, but I gues we will find out. 

And now for the surpring part, all of this set us back 7,200 Kwacha! A whole $20! There are definitely some things more expensive in Malawi, but I'm happy to discover plants are not one of them, and we all know what that means, more trips to the nursery for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment